Monday 11 September 2017

Is work good for you?


Photograph: Connor Brook 

Mike Ryder is a PhD student at Lancaster University. His research interests include biopolitics, sovereignty, science fiction and war. He is particularly interested in the intersection between literature and philosophy, and the works of Giorgio Agamben, Gilles Deleuze and Michel Foucault. In today's post, Mike talks about why having a part-time job alongside his PhD is a good combination. Go and have a look at his (fab) personal website: www.mjryder.net and check out his Facebook page



When I left my ‘proper job’ in September last year, I thought that was it for employment for the next few years. But as reality kicked in and I realised I needed a) some money and b) some human contact, a part-time job seemed the perfect solution.

But is work really a good idea?

I’ll be honest: my part-time work isn’t particularly challenging – nor is it overly inspiring. But you know what, it’s nice to escape my thesis for a while and think about something else. It’s also nice to meet some ‘real’ people who aren’t either stressed students, or academics who only talk to you in terms of your research.

I have to say I also really enjoy simply going into an office once a week where everyone knows me, everyone is friendly and I can just talk rubbish about the news, people, the weather – whatever!


Work is not for everyone

Of course part-time work is not for everyone. It may be that you can get on financially without work, or that your life is sufficiently social without it. You may also think that work may take up too much of your time and distract you from your research.

But have you ever stopped to take a look at your study patterns and how much you actually achieve each day? From discussions we’ve had here on Let’s Talk Academia, it’s clear that not enough people take the time to think about their working practices and many will simply grind away each day, equating time-spent-at-desk with success.

But as we know, research doesn’t work that way!


Don’t work hard: work smart

In my experience a day off per week, plus a day or so in paid employment leaves me feeling that much fresher to continue my studies in the remainder of the week. Not only that, but it also helps me process all the things I’ve been reading, so when I do work I am more efficient and don’t get anywhere near so stressed as some of my peers.

So yes, I do think work can be good for you. It doesn’t matter if you’re working in a coffee shop, an office, a pub or a bar, a little part-time work can help you take a much needed break from research and remind you that you’re a real person, and that there’s more to life than study-study-study.


And that’s a good thing in my book. 
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Let's Talk Academia | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig