Thursday 21 September 2017

In conversation with... Dr Emily Winter



Emily Winter recently finished her PhD at Lancaster University. She now works as a Research Associate exploring the values of the so-called iGen on a joint project between Lancaster and Stanford University. In today's interview, we talk about preparing for a viva, PhD advice, breaking into the academic job market/ post-PhD life and life lessons. Follow Emily on Twitter: @EmilyRWinter 








Firstly, congratulations on completing your PhD recently and for passing your viva! Looking back on your PhD journey, what would you say has been one of the most rewarding parts of doing a PhD?

There have been so many things that I’ve found rewarding. I’ve met some amazing people through my department, through the wider Lancaster postgraduate community, and at conferences.  I also loved being able to interview so many interesting people for my thesis, and learn from people very different to myself. 


In hindsight, if there is one piece of advice that you wish you could have given to yourself when you started your PhD journey, what would it be?

Trust this messy process.  Inspiration will come, but it will take its time and work in its own mysterious ways.  Grab it went it comes!
Oh, and take intentional away-from-desk breaks, not Facebook breaks.


It would be great to hear a bit about your viva experience. What was it like, did you have a positive or negative experience?

I was amazed to actually really enjoy my viva!  I had wonderful examiners who engaged with my work in the kind of spirit with which I had really hoped my work would be considered.  I’d often avoided talking about my PhD during much of the process, so it was great to be at the point where everything had come together, I knew what I’d done and why, and I felt ready to talk about it. 

Some of the questions I received were challenging, but my examiners had made me feel very comfortable and at-ease, so I knew they weren’t trying to trip me up. 


How did you prepare for your viva and what advice would you give to others that are about to take theirs’?

I read through my thesis armed with post-it notes and I thought a lot about its weaknesses.  A friend lent me a set of viva prompt cards and I used these to become more comfortable talking about my PhD.  I also had a mock viva with one of my supervisors.  The night before, however, I did nothing in preparation beyond eating a nice meal, reading a good book, and getting an early night.

It’s worth also saying that I think there are limits to how much you can prepare.  You can’t really predict the questions, and you’ll probably be surprised by how much your brain has absorbed on the topic through the years spent working on it. 


You were successful in securing a Research Associate position before finishing your PhD, which is totally amazing! What would you say to those that are also wanting to secure an academic job straight after completing their PhD?

I was so lucky to be offered this position by my supervisor and the timing just happened to work out really well for me (despite a tough overlap period).  I’m not really sure what advice to offer, but I would say that I think it’s important to be open to different kinds of positions and opportunities.  This particular research project has taken me in quite a different direction to perhaps what I had envisaged doing after the PhD, in terms of its topic area, but it’s been really rewarding and interesting.  So be open to things that might not look like the ‘perfect project’ for you.


Did you always anticipate progressing into an academic-based job when you were doing your PhD? If so, what were your main fears about entering into the job market after you finished your doctorate?

Like most PhD students, I had a love-hate relationship with academia throughout the process, depending on how the thesis was progressing (or failing to progress), so I wasn’t always sure I wanted to go into academia.  I was really worried, particularly in the final summer before my funding ran out, about finding a job, though this was a more generalised worry about finding any source of income.


And finally, it would be great to finish with your thoughts on what one of your biggest life lessons has been so far in your academic journey?

I feel amazingly privileged to have been able to interview people as part of my job.  I’ve learnt so much about others through this, and about myself, and it’s been hugely rewarding and life-enriching.  The biggest thing I’ve learnt is that people are wonderfully complicated!


I’ve also learnt a lot about what motivates me and how I work best.
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Let's Talk Academia | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig