Thursday 23 March 2017

In conversation with... Mike Ryder


Mike Ryder is a PhD student at Lancaster University. His research interests include biopolitics, sovereignty, science fiction and war. He is particularly interested in the intersection between literature and philosophy, and the works of Giorgio Agamben, Gilles Deleuze and Michel Foucault. In today's interview, we talk about his experiences of PhD life so far, including how he adapted to the academic environment after taking a break from it and starting a PhD a little later on in life. Go and have a look at his (fab) personal website: www.mjryder.net and check out his Facebook page: www.facebook.com/MJRyder.net





Firstly, it would be great to hear a little bit about your PhD research. What is your subject and what are you researching?

My research straddles two fields, English Literature and Philosophy, and seeks to explore the interaction between the two.

At the heart of my project I’m interested in the concept of sovereignty and ‘life’ as a discursive construct. To help me explore these issues I am conducting a philosophical / biopolitical reading of American science fiction published during the Vietnam War.

I picked sci-fi because there are just so many links that can be drawn between the genre and philosophy. In fact, many philosophers including Arendt and Deleuze mention science fiction explicitly in their works, which just goes to show that there is a direct dialogue between the two. More than that though, I find that sci-fi is an incredibly fertile genre when it comes to new ideas, and ways of examining questions such as the notion of ‘humanity’ and what it means to be alive.

In terms of my theoretical grounding, I’m very much working with Foucault, Agamben, Deleuze, Derrida, and a few others besides, drawing on ideas such as biopolitics, bare life, segmentarity and state bureaucracy. I don’t want to give too much away at this early stage, but there are some really interesting links to be made between the books I’m working with and the concepts that these continental philosophers deal with; the novels themselves being selected from the period 1955–1975, and in many cases pre-empting the work of Foucault et al from the 1970s onwards.


Why did you decide that you wanted to embark on doing a PhD, especially considering the fact that you worked for several years outside of the academic setting before applying to do one?

For a long time now I’ve wanted to be an academic and spend my life combining research, writing and teaching. At the time I finished my BA I didn’t have the option to do an MA straight away as I would have liked to as I didn’t have the funding. As such I had to go out in to the world of work and bide my time until I could afford to start my postgraduate study. It took a few years before I was in a position to apply for a part-time Masters, and even then that was with the stress of commuting over two hours each way and holding down a full-time job. No easy task I assure you!

It was only after I completed my MA that I really knew where I wanted to go with my long-term PhD research (I initially thought I might be a Victorian scholar as I really enjoy the literature of that period). Unfortunately, again, this was where life caught up with me. While many people apply for their PhD while still in education, I spent over a year collecting my ideas together and getting my application ready. It was a lot of work I can tell you and I can’t describe the relief when I received news that I was able to finally take the next step and start on my PhD.


How have you found the transition of re-entering into higher education as a “mature” student? Has there been any stand out challenges, surprises or positives?

I admit it’s been a bit of a shock to the system. I really built myself up for what I hoped would be an amazing return to university and student life. Unfortunately, so far, it’s not really turned out like that. Well, not completely anyway.

It doesn’t help I think that I am in this strange zone where I’m older than the undergraduates and the early-20-something-PhDs here at Lancaster (who all happen to know each other from their MAs); yet at the same time I’m also significantly younger than most ‘mature’ students who tend to come back into study later in life. I know I’m only 31, but when you’ve been working professionally for many years you have a very different perspective to someone who hasn’t been out there in the wider non-academic world.

There’s also the issue for me that when I moved up here, I didn’t bring any family or significant other with me – I don’t have children, or a partner at the moment, so it’s quite hard to find like-minded people, as most tend to live off-campus with their families and commute in, so may not even come to campus for days or weeks at a time.

A very strange experience, and one I’m still getting used to, but please don’t let me put you off!


What would be your advice to people who are about to re-enter (or considering it) into higher education as a PhD researcher, after having had quite a big break from education? Was there anything you specifically did in order to feel more ready to get back into studying?

The studying itself has been really enjoyable if I’m honest. I know I sounded quite negative in my last answer, but this isn’t to say that being a mature student doesn’t have its benefits too. One, I think, is a really good work ethic and sense of perspective. I worked for three years as a professional ghost-writer, writing on behalf of the great and the good in the healthcare sector. The experience means I don’t often take things to heart, and I’m quite good when it comes to dealing with setbacks in my research or my writing.

If I was to give one piece of advice (and this applies to anyone) it’s get a routine and think how you can work more efficiently. Remember it’s not about the amount of time you spend at the library that gets you your PhD, but the quality of the work you do while you’re there.

If you can really get a good understanding of how you work, and the way your body reacts to stress and tiredness then you will know the signs that will tell you ‘I’m not going to get any more work done today so I’m going to stop’. It would be a waste then to keep sitting there for another few hours when you’d be much better off physically and emotionally going home and taking a nap, or doing something completely different. Remember to be kind to yourself!


In your first year so far, what experiences, if any, have you had that you perhaps didn’t anticipate prior to starting your PhD?

I don’t think I was quite ready for the transition of going from a 9–5 job to not really having the same level of day-to-day interaction with people. I know it sounds strange, but you really can go weeks without talking with anyone if you don’t make an effort to take time away from your studies.


What would you say you’ve enjoyed the most about doing a PhD so far? Has anything really rewarding happened yet?

I’ve really enjoyed the process of reading and note-taking and getting my first draft chapter together. I also like the intellectual freedom this project has given me and the time I’ve had to read around my subject.


Your PhD is funded by AHRC (NWCDTP), what advice would you give to prospective PhD students that are seeking funding?

Make sure you know your subject and dedicate a good deal of time to planning what your research is going to be about. There’s a lot of competition for funding so your words need to be carefully chosen and your application can’t be full of ‘filler’ text.


You also juggle part-time work alongside your PhD, what’s your top tip to make sure you keep on top of PhD-related objectives when you have other commitments?

I currently have a part-time job working for Student Based Services, helping to compile the weekly student newsletter here at Lancaster. It’s just one day a week and is quite good as the hours are fairly consistent, so I am able to plan my research around it. More than a day a week though and I’d probably struggle to get my work done to be honest, as I always like to make sure I have Sundays ‘off’.


If you could say something about your overall PhD experience so far, what would it be in a nutshell?

For the most part it’s been really enjoyable, but it’s also been quite different to how I would have expected. My advice is don’t bring any pre-conceptions with you, and be prepared to make the most of the opportunity.


And finally, what is your end goal? Do you have any aspirations yet as to what you want to do after your PhD?

Ultimately, I’d like to become a full-time academic, as this has been my goal for as long as I can remember. I’d also really like to publish both my academic and non-academic work (I write fiction as well in my spare time). My dream has always been to walk into Waterstones one day and see my book(s) on the shelf.
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Let's Talk Academia | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig